Tuesday

CONNECTIONS TO MYSELF AND MY READER RESPONSE


Text to Self:

    Racism had an affect on everyone’s life at a point. For example, Arabs are usually under one stereotype that “Muslims are Terrorists”. So, one time I was a forth grader playing at school having fun and it was time to go home. I was sitting on the bus and some 5 year old boy walks up to me and asks if I was hiding bombs under my headscarf. I believe this happened because racism in the media portrays Arabs in that image.

    Another time was in the airport, I have noticed if the metal beeper begins to beep, they take very close caution if a Arab, especially a women with a headscarf. They quickly take you into the room and check you all over. I am saying this because I experienced this, that’s why I always pray to god that the beeper never beeps when I walk through it.

Personal Response:

   Overall, I think that the play Othello is well written and well constructed. Shakespeare is very clever because he interprets that the black person “Othello” is honorable with a high position. How he interpreted that he had racist characters that called him the moor, thick-lips, etc. Without making the full story racist. Throughout the whole story I was so keen to know what would happen next if something huge based on racism was going to occur. Nothing has really changed from Elizabethan Time, racism is still occurring however its hidden from the eye, its usually the meaning behind the situation. It’s actually occurring, we just have to focus and open our eyes!